Some funds do not allow non-resident members. You have plenty of choices though


If you are retiring overseas and your super fund is with one of the many retail or industry super funds, then there is nothing that you need to do differently from the perspective of contributions to super, accessing your super benefits or even the tax consequences of your super fund(s).

For these funds, Australian citizens and permanent residents who relocate overseas are treated in the same way as Australians that remain in Australia.

As per usual, you will be able to continue to contribute to your super fund when living overseas should you with, you are able to and it’s in your interest to do so.

And as per usual, you will not be able to access your super benefits until you meet a ‘condition of release’.

However, from time to time we come across the occasional super fund that will look to remove members when it becomes known that they are no longer residents of Australia.

It may be prudent to check with your super fund before relocating abroad.

If you do belong to one of these rare funds don’t be alarmed, the solution is simple. 

We’re always here to help

We recommend that you contact your super fund and, in writing, have them answer a few relevant questions.

Retire to Asia provides ongoing support and advice over the phone, or through our website and newsletters. We are here to assist you. 

If you’d like more information or have any questions, please feel free to call 1800-961-377 or email in**@re**********.au and let the team at Retire to Asia help make your dream lifestyle a reality.

Cookie Settings

‘Retire to Asia values your privacy. Our website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Please refer to our privacy policy and terms and conditions for more information’.